Thursday, November 28, 2013

My Thankful List--2013

It's 9:30 on Thanksgiving, and I'm already in PJs, under the covers in my bed. It was a grand, grand holiday, but I've been up and on-the-go since 6:30, and I'm tired.  Before the day of thankfulness expires, though, I want to write down what I'm thankful for this year. You know, for posterity. And also so I can look back and laugh at myself.

This year, I'm thankful for:

1.  Of course, my family. I have a great family, both here in our house and extended. I've gotten in touch with cousins and aunts and uncles in the past year, relatives I was very close to in my younger days. I'm thankful to get to know them all again, because they're part of my very happiest childhood memories. I love family.

2. Technology. I love having the world at my fingertips. Yeah, that's all very 1st world, but I'm just being honest. I love being able to connect with people instantly, being able to get information quickly. Makes me feel more efficient. It also allows me to keep in touch with my far-reaching friends.

3.  West Sixth Brewery. Yes, I'm thankful for a bar. Not in the alcoholic kind of sense, but just because I love that place! It's kind of my "Cheers" place. I've had some of the best times there with my friends--just the other night, I did yoga there, then had a beer and dinner and laughed until my face hurt. No joke. They have great beer, yes, but I am more grateful for a place I can go to hang out with friends and just relax, be happy. So yeah. I'm grateful for a bar.

4.  My job. I love what I do. Despite feeling incompetent and harried much of the time, I absolutely love where I work, love the kids and my teachers and our mission. Even when it's downright frustrating--and it is, much of the time--it's also incredibly rewarding. I love working with intelligent, passionate women. I love problem-solving and discussing what's right for our kids and knowing that we truly do put our students first in all we do.

5. Bedtime. I love my children with all my heart, but there's something so satisfying about bedtime. Putting them to bed at the end of the day, and sitting down to relax. Something so wonderful about settling in for the night. Getting all cozy under the covers, watching mindless TV...good stuff right there.

6.  Anderson's creativity. Oh, that boy and his imagination! There is not a single day that goes by where he doesn't do something that makes me smile. He is ingenious, I tell you. He's talented, and smart, and funny. He's determined and silly and passionate. He owns, absolutely owns, half of my heart.

7.  Amelia's curiosity. I love her age right now. She's infinitely curious and incredibly intelligent. She's sensitive and sweet, and sassy. She's devoted and loving and just the right amount of shy. She's timid and brave all at the same time. The other half of my heart.

8. Wine. No explanation needed.

9.  MUSIC...as strange as it may sound to some people, music is just so incredibly important to me.  It's a form of expression, even though I don't write or make the music. I choose songs with interesting or personally relevant lyrics. I love hearing a song so well-written, it gives me goosebumps. I love that my boy shares the same fascination with a good melody, good harmonization. I don't know what life would be like without it.

10. All of my pregnant friends and all of my mama friends. I have baby-mania so badly right now--I would literally LOVE to have another. I'm grateful to my girls who don't mind when I smell their babies' heads, just to soak up that newborn awesomeness. I love patting my friends' round bellies, and remembering when I had two wiggleworms tumbling around, kicking and hiccuping. There was a time when having pregnant friends was just insanely difficult for me, but I know exactly how lucky I am. Instead of being bitter, it's just bittersweet.

11.  My infertility experience. I'm thankful for it, because I take nothing for granted. Not one minute, not one word, not one newly learned skill.  Not one single smile, not one kiss. When you are forced to come to terms with the fact that having children might not be in your future, and you are lucky enough to find a way to make it happen, you appreciate it all. Every temper tantrum, every bedtime struggle, every tear and feisty word. It's all a miracle and I am so damn lucky.

12.  Nick at Nite. I love old sitcoms--TV was so much better 10 years ago. I secretly enjoy Full House, which has to be one of the worst shows of all time. Friends, all the good stuff.  It lulls me to sleep every night. Yeah. I'm thankful for it.

13.  Hair products. Y'all, I've finally tamed my insane mane. Got a great layered haircut, bought the right product and brush and styling tools. $300 later, I finally have decent hair most days! Sounds a bit material, but it's amazing how feeling better about your appearance affects everything else. I swear I'm a happier person.

14. "Snuggling".  Anderson isn't a loving kid--he rarely wants to be held or kissed or hugged. You can watch him when you do it, or when you make him show affection--he does it begrudgingly but he doesn't like it. But...he has a thing where he wants to "snuggle" in bed with me before he goes to bed. Now, he isn't close enough under the covers to actually snuggle, but we look at each other and talk and laugh. Almost as good as a real snuggle.

15.  Finally...this simple life. We don't live fancy here in the Jones house. Our house is small, our personal property limited. We don't have a lot of anything, honestly. We live fairly small. Our furniture is old, our home not updated. And yet--we are pretty happy here. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to have new things and more space. And we will--someday. But it's nice to know that we can be happy where we're at, too.

So there you go. Now, I'm going to bury myself under my sheets and watch some Full House until I fall asleep. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment