Monday, May 27, 2013

Still here.

I hate that I haven't blogged in so long. We are still here.

I've felt like this for the past two and a half weeks:


Scattered, confused, like I'm speaking a foreign language and that nobody is really understanding what I'm trying to say. All teachers out there can attest to the fact that, although we look forward to the end of the year the most, the last 2-3 weeks before school actually gets out are pretty rough. The frenzy starts right after spring break, culminates with state testing, and then fizzles out with Field Day, Awards Day, etc.  Add into the equation two sick kids, a sick husband, and some district obligations, and you end up with nothing short of insanity.  I'm pretty sure I have some sensory issues (I think we all do), and I'm pretty sure I've been in sensory overload for like 99% of the last month.

Needless to say, summer break couldn't have come at a better time. Especially since I caught the plague from my family and have been sicker in the past two days than I've been in a LOOONG time. My seasonal allergies decided to join forces with whatever horrible virus the kids brought home to create a real live monster that is living in my sinus cavities.  My entire upper lip is one big chapped mess because of all of the nose-blowing. I haven't slept in two nights because no matter which cocktail of respiratory drugs I take, as soon as I lie down, my nose is completely, totally stuffed up. My eyes are black underneath, I've been unknowingly walking around with bits of tissue stuck to various parts of my face, and I sound pretty much like a tuba every time I blow my nose. In other words, I am VERY attractive. Very.

Adding to the fun is the fact that tomorrow is my birthday.  Now, I'm not one of those people who gets all excited about birthdays--I've celebrated with friends in the past but mostly because my birthday always coincides with the end of the school year, so we really just use my coming into the world as an excuse to get together and have a good time, celebrate the beginning of summer break.  However, this year, my kids are very interested in birthdays and are pretty excited about the big day tomorrow. I'd be totally fine with not acknowledging the fact that 40 is slowly approaching, that I'm closer to 40 than 30. They, on the other hand, want to sing and eat cake (they're defo using me for cake).  Eating cake with this congestion sounds about as good as munching on styrofoam. Yee-haw.

The final piece of the joy puzzle for the current time is that I'm giving a district PD tomorrow for work.  It's not something I had to come up with myself, thank god, but I did have to read through and make lots of notes, and I do have to use my brain, which is going to be difficult, given my current near-toxic dosage of antihistamines and decongestants. I feel sorry for the people who will be attending; they'll have to hear my snotty, nasal voice and watch me continuously blow my nose and sneeze all over the place. I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

I have some really great blog topics I want to get to soon--the kids have been playing together a lot lately and it's gotten interesting (okay, hysterical), and Anderson has had some new language developments. I just can't form coherent and intelligent thoughts right now. Hopefully in a few days when the drug fog clears and my sinuses don't feel like someone is jackhammering my face.

Ahhh....


No comments:

Post a Comment