Monday, February 18, 2013

Why I Love YouTube

Disclaimer:  YouTube is not paying me to say any of this, although they should! In fact, if they wanted to pay me for, it, I wouldn't turn them down...(are you listening, YouTube?)

This post is aimed at parents, soon-to-be-parents, or parents-of-babies-of-the-four-legged-variety--basically, anyone who has loved and nurtured a tiny being.  If you don't have a YouTube account (or really any online video/photo storage site), you need to get one immediately. Even if you have the settings on private, so that nobody can see your videos except you, DO IT.

See, this weekend, I've been in a little reminiscing mood.  When I feel like the kids are growing up way too fast (and they are...and they ALL do), I like to remember when they were little.  Because I have been documenting their childhood using my iPhone (and camera, for the earliest videos, pre-iPhone video camera--can you even believe there was a time when iPhones didn't record video? That's a whole 'nother post entirely...), and religiously uploading to YouTube, I can watch snippets of when they were little any time I want to.  Just a quick 30 second/1 minute video immediately takes me back to a time when we were sleep-deprived and they were precious tiny ones.  I don't know what I'd do without these videos, honestly. I knew when I got pregnant that this was essentially my one shot at children, so I've been making an effort to enjoy every single moment, and being able to relive their infancy is so incredibly important to me.

You don't have to pre-plan your videos--they don't have to all be special moments. Some of my favorite videos were taken on days when I was just bored and hit 'record'.  The ordinary moments are somehow even sweeter than some of the big ones.  Short clips are much faster to upload, so I try to keep them to between 30-130 seconds. Just enough to get some of the good stuff.

So...because I'm enjoying watching these videos, I'm going to share some of my faves here.  I will not, in any way, shape, or form, be offended if you choose to skip this part.  I mean, I don't know why you wouldn't enjoy seeing my kids being adorable, while my house is in various states of disarray in the background, my dogs constantly photobombing, my hick voice and Marty's even hicker (totally a word) voice...  But, if you ARE in the mood for some adorable-ness, enjoy these. I sure do.












I could go on for days here, but I'll spare you.  These are so precious to me now, and thanks to YouTube, I don't have to keep them on my phone, and yet I can access them from anywhere. If you aren't an uploader, consider it. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment